Yearwise | Contributions of the core team and FMES members
- Book Chapters
- Papers in journals
- Book Chapters
- Papers in journals
- Book Chapters
- Papers in journals
- Book Chapters
- Papers in journals
- Book Chapters
- Papers in journals
Year 2017-18: Book chapters
- Amar Jesani: Sandhya Srinivasan, Veena Johari, Amar Jesani; “Cervical screening cancer in India”, in Doris Schroeder, Julie Cook Lucas, Francois Hirsh, Solveig Fenet, Vasantha Muthuswamy (Eds); “Ethics Dumping: case studies from North-South research collaborations”, Springer Open, 2018 (open access book available at: http://www.springer.com/in/book/9783319647302)
- Amar Jesani: Jinee Lokaneeta, Amar Jesani,“Chapter 15:India”,(pages 501-547),in Richard Carver, Lisa Handley (Eds.), “Does torture prevention work?”, Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2016, pages 651
- J Charles Davis: Medical Ethics in India. In: Indian Moral Theology: Historical Studies and Future Prospects. Edited by Mathew Illathuparampil. Bangalore: Dharmaram Publications, 2017, 141-159
- Sandhya Srinivasan:Sandhya Srinivasan,Veena Johari,Amar Jesani;“Cervical screening cancer in India”, in Doris Schroeder, Julie Cook Lucas, Francois Hirsh, Solveig Fenet, Vasantha Muthuswamy (Eds); Ethics Dumping: case studies from North-South research collaborations, Springer Open, 2018 (open access book available at: http://www.springer.com/in/book/9783319647302
- Nagral, S., Srinivasan, S., D’Cruz, M. (Eds.) Organ Transplantation Compassion and commerce: Selected readings from IJME, Forum for Medical Ethics Society. 2017 January. p. 1-276
- Sanjay A Pai: Chapter on “Corruption in biomedical research”, in Healers or Predators; Corruption in medicine; Editors: S Nundy, S Nagral and K Desiraju. OxfordUniversityPressIndia,expected April2018.
- Sanjay A Pai: Chapter on “Hippocratic Oath for Indians” [ NMJI paper, published by Sanjay A Pai and SK Pandya in 2010] reprinted in a Spanish book on Hippocratic oath published by Editorial Universitaria de Buenos Aires.
Year 2017-18: Papers in journals
- Jesani A, Johari, V, “Ethical and legal challenges of vaccines and vaccination:Reﬂections”, Indian J Med Ethics, 2017, April-June, 2(2) NS: 72-4.
- Jacob John T, Yogesh Jain, Sarojini Nadimpally, Amar Jesani. “Vaccine delivery to disease control: a paradigm shift in health policy”. Indian J Med Ethics. 2017,Apr-June;2(2)NS:112-15.
- J Charles Davis, A Short History of Catholic Church´s Position on Abortion.Smart Companion India. 2017 Jan; 8(1): 12-15.
- J Charles Davis, The Sickening Paedophilia and the Catholic Teaching on Child Protection. Smart Companion India. 2017 Apr;8(4): 8-11.
- J Charles Davis, Jayard SS, Irudayadason NA, Davis JC. Healing Ministry and Palliative Care in Christianity. Indian J Med Ethics. 2017 Oct-Dec; 2(4): 238-43.
- J Charles Davis, Migrants and Refugees from a Biblical and Ecclesial Point of View.Smart Companion India. 2017 Jun;8(6): 26-27.
- Mala Ramanathan, Editorial.The science in the p-value:need for a rethinking. Indian J Med Ethics. 2017 Oct-Dec;2(4)NS: 223.
- Mala Ramanathan, Ramanathan M, K Sakeena. Exclusion of married adolescents in a study of gestational diabetes mellitus: a case study. Reprod Health. 2017. 14(Suppl 3): 169.
- Rakhi Ghoshal, Editorial,The social value of research. Indian J Med Ethics. 2018 Jan-Mar; 3(1):6-8.
- Rakhi Ghoshal, Menstruation: a complex saga. Indian J Med Ethics. 2018 Jan-Mar; 3(1)NS: 82-3.
- Rakhi Ghoshal, A few shades fairer, please. Indian J Med Ethics. Published online on Nov 30, 2017.
- Sandhya Srinivasan, Editorial. Uterus transplants: Yawning regulatory gaps. Indian J Med Ethics. 2017 Jul-Sep;2(3); 135-7.
- Sanjay A Pai: Reminiscences, reﬂections and reasoning. Indian J Med Ethics. 2018 Jan-Mar;3(1); 72-3.
- Sunita VS Bandewar, Bandewar SVS, Pitre A, and Lingam L. Five years post Nirbhaya: Critical insights into the status of response to sexual assault. Indian J Med Ethics. Published online on Mar 28, 2018.
- Sunita VS Bandewar, Editorial. Bandewar SVS, Aggarwal A, Kumar R, Aggarwal R, Sahni P, Pai SA. MCI’s amended qualiﬁcations for Indian medical teachers: Well intended, yet half hearted. Indian J Med Ethics. Published online on December 29, 2017. DOI:10.20529/IJME.2017.104 (this editorial was co-published by about 11 Indian journals).
- Sunita VS Bandewar, Theme Editorial; Bandewar SVS. CIOMS 2016. Indian J Med Ethics. 2017 Jul-Sep; 2(3) NS:138-40. DOI: 10.20529/IJME.2017.067.
- Sunita VS Bandewar, Bandewar SVS. Healing and dying with dignity: Ethical Issues in palliative and end-of-life care and euthanasia: Reporting from the Sixth National Bioethics Conference (January 12–15, 2017, Pune, Maharashtra, India). Asian Bioethics Review (2017) 9:137–147. DOI 10.1007/s41649-017-0005-0.
- Bandewar, VS., Wambugu, F., Richardson, E., Lavery JV. The role of community engagement in the adoption of new agricultural biotechnologies by farmers: the case of the Africa harvest tissue-culture banana in Kenya. BMC Biotechnology (2017) 17:28. DOI 10.1186/s12896-017-0347-4.
- Bandewar, VS, Hemalatha Pisal.Bharatatil prahaar seveche aarogyadhikar va lingabhedbhav drushtikonatun vishleshanatmak avalokan [Marathi] for Vidhayak Trust, Pune and FMES, Mumbai.
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran. Public trust in vaccination: an analytical framework. Indian J Med Ethics.2017 Apr-Jun:2(2) NS: 98-104.
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran. Community-based participatory epidemiology in tribal areas in India. J Postgrad Med. 2017 Apr-Jun; 63:79-80.
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran. Placing the “radar” under the radar: ethics of public health surveillance. Indian J Med Ethics. Published online on August 16, 2017.
- Sanjai S, Vijayaprasad Gopichandran. Selﬂess giving in medicine: a study of altruistic attitudes among medical students. Indian J Med Ethics. Published online on September 19, 2017. DOI: 10.20529/IJME.2017.082.
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran. Controlled human infection models for vaccine development: Zika virus debate. Indian J Med Ethics. Published online on October 31, 2017
Year 2016-17: Book chapters
- Sunita Simon Kurpad: Authored a Chapter on High Risk Sexual behavior In Ethics in book on Mental Health- Substance Use. Ed David Cooper. CRC Press Taylor and Francis Group. May 2017.
Year 2016-17: Papers in journals
- Rakhi Ghoshal: Ghoshal, R. 2017. ‘The overseas child: understanding international surrogacy’ (book review of Paula Gerber and Katie O’Byrne (eds.) Surrogacy, Law and Human Rights, 2015, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, England), Indian J Med Ethics. 2017Jan-Mar; 2(1) NS: 62-4.
- Rakhi Ghoshal: Co-author of the Conference Report of the 6th NBC, published online in IJME on May 10, 2017;
- Sandhya Srinivasan: Wrote article on a clinical trial testing brain dead bodies to see if they could be revived, which was also the subject of an FMES complaint “Why an Indo-US project to bring the dead back to life is no laughing matter” Scroll.in. May 31, 2016; https://scroll.in/pulse/808634/why-an-indo-us-project-to-bring-the-dead-back-to-life-is-no-laughing-matter.
- Sandhya Srinivasan: Co-author of editorial in IJME on the same trial. “Response to proposed research to reverse brain-death: more than regulatory failure. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016; 1(3) NS: 134-7. Available from: http://ijme.in/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/2131-5.pdf
- Sandhya Srinivasan: Was co-petitioner in Supreme Court public interest litigation (dismissed) on unethical trials of cervical cancer screening, calling for compensation for harmed trial participants and regulation of non-drug trials.
- Sandhya Srinivasan: Co-author of letter in the Journal of Global Oncology responding to a justification of these trials. (Srinivasan S, Loff B, Johari V, Jesani A, N Sarojini. Researchers’ first duty is to the participants. Journal of Global Oncology. 2(4): 246-7.
- Sandhya Srinivasan: Co-authored with Veena Johari and Amar Jesani – a case study on the cervical cancer screening trials for the TRUST Project. (Schroeder D, Cook Lucas J, Fenet S, Hirsch F (eds) (2016) “Ethics Dumping” – Paradigmatic Case Studies, a report for TRUST, available at: http://trust-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TRUST-664771-Paradigmatic-Case-Studies-WP1-Final.pdf
- Sanjay Pai: Co-authored with Vaz M, Sridhar TS. The ethics of research on stored biological samples: outcomes of a Workshop. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016 Apr-Jun;1(2):118-22.
- Sunita VS Bandewar: Bandewar SVS, Wambugu F, Richardson E, Lavery JV. The role of community engagement in the adoption of new agricultural biotechnologies by farmers: the case of the Africa harvest tissue-culture banana in Kenya. BMC Biotechnology (2017) 17:28. DOI 10.1186/s12896-017-0347-4
- Sunita VS Bandewar: Pisal H and Bandewar SVS. Iccha Sanmane Shevatachi (Marathi publication). Saptahik Sakal. Nov 26, 2016.
- Sunita VS Bandewar : Schopper D, Ravinetto R, Schwartz L, Kamaara E, Bandewar SVS, Selgelid MJ, Ahmad A, Dawson A., Singh J, Jesani A, Upshur R. Research ethics governance in times of Ebola. Public Health Ethics. Published online Nov 1, 2016. doi:10.1093/phe/phw039
- Sunita Simon Kurpad: Co-authored Guest editorial with A Bhide on Sexual boundaries in the doctor patient relationship: Guidelines for doctors. Indian J Psychiatry, 2017; 59 (1):14-16;
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran: Co-authored with Gaitonde R. The Chennai floods of 2015 and the health system response. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016 Apr-Jun;1(2) NS: 71-5.
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran: co-authored with Mariaselvam S. The Chennai floods of 2015: urgent need for ethical disaster management guidelines. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016 Apr–Jun; 1(2) NS: 91-5.
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran: co-authored with Luyckx VA, Biller-Andorno N, Fairchild A, Singh J, Tran N, Saxena A, Launois P, Reis A, Maher D, and Vahedi M. Developing the ethics of implementation research in health. Implement Sci. 2016; 11: 161. Accessed at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5148832/
- Vijayaprasad Gopichandran: The IAB Congress 2016: Is there justice in the bioethics world? Indian J Med Ethics. 2017 Jan-Mar; 2(1): 43-44.
Year 2015-16: Papers in journals
- Bandewar S V S. Access to controlled medicines for pain management and palliative care in India: Gains so far and challenges ahead. Indian J Med Ethics.2015 Apr-Jun;12(2):77-82. Epub 2015 Mar 23. Available from: http://ijme.in/index.php/ijme/article/view/2197
- Bandewar S, Nagral S. Healing and dying with dignity: Where does India stand? Indian J Med Ethics.2016 Jan-Mar;1(1) NS: 5-7. Available from: http://ijme.in/index.php/ijme/issue/view/137 (Guest editorial for a theme issue entitled ‘Healing and dying with dignity: Ethical issues in palliative care, end-of-life-care and euthanasia’. Part of the preparatory work leading up to the Sixth National Bioethics Conference to be held in Jan 2017 on the same theme)
- Bandewar S. Mandatory sex selection test: Constitutionally and ethically unviable. Girls Count Newsletter. Jan-March 2016; Qtr 1(8): 4-5.
- Bandewar SVS, Pai SA. Regressive trend: MCI’s approach to assessment of medical teachers’ performance (Editorial). Indian J Med Ethics.2015 Oct-Dec; 12(4): 192-5.
- Bandewar SVS. The draft National Health Policy 2015: Hype, hope and despairs. eSocial Sciences. Feb 1, 2015.
- Bandewar SVS, Bharat S, Kongelf A, Pisal H, and Collumbien M. Considering risk contexts in large scale HIV prevention: the case of female sex workers in Mumbai and Thane, India. BMC Public Health. 2016 Jan 28;16(1):85. doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-2737-2.
- Forum for Medical Ethics Society (Ghoshal R, Bandewar SVS, Sarojini N, Nagral S, Duggal L, Chaudhuri L, Mukhopadhyay B.) National Health Policy 2015: Mapping the Gaps. Econ Pol Wkly. 2015 Sep 5; 50(36): 21-23.
- Gaitonde R, Gopichandran V. The Chennai floods of 2015 and the health system response. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016 Apr-Jun;1(2) NS: 71-5.
- Ghoshal R. Bade logon ki tarah: pregnant and poor in the city. Inter-Asia Cultural Studies. 16(2): 160-73.
- Ghoshal R. Economising desire with assisted reproduction in India. Open Democracy, free thinking for the world. 2015 Dec 14. Available from:https://www.opendemocracy.net/rakhi-ghoshal/economising-desire-with-assisted-reproduction-in-India
- Ghoshal R. Regularising the fertility market in India. Girls Count Newsletter. 2015 Oct-Dec; Qtr 4(7): 7-8.
- Ghoshal R. To believe or not to believe: the onlooker’s role in cases of sexual boundary violations. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016 Jan-Mar; 1(1) NS: 60-61
- Gopichandran V, Chetlapalli SK. Trust in the physician–patient relationship in developing healthcare settings – a quantitative exploration. Indian J Med Ethics. 2015 Jul-Sep; 12(3): 141-8.
- Gopichandran V, Wouters E, Chetlapalli SK. Development and validation of a socioculturally competent trust in physician scale for a developing country setting. BMJ Open. 2015 May 3;5(4):e007305
- Gopichandran V. Faith healing and faith in healing. Indian J Med Ethics. 2015 Oct-Dec;12(4): 238-40.
- Gopichandran V, Dawson A. Ethics and the impact of climate change in South Asia. In: Macpherson C, ed. Bioethical insights into values and policy: Climate change and health. Springer; 2016.
- Gopichandran, V. Ethical guidelines for public health in developing countries – a review. Indian J Comm Fam Med. 2015;1(2):22-7.
- Mariaselvam S, Gopichandran V. The Chennai floods of 2015: urgent need for ethical disaster management guidelines. Indian J Med Ethics. 2016 Apr–Jun; 1(2) NS: 91-5.
- D Cruz M, Ramanathan M, Srinivasan S, Bandewar SS, Jesani A, Pai SA. Editorial challenges in practice: case studies form the Indian Journal of Medical Ethics. Poster at the WAME International Conference for Medical Journal Editors. Oct 2-4, 2015. New Delhi.
- Schopper S, Ravinetto R, Schwartz L, Kamaara E, Bandewar SVS, Selgelid MJ, Ahmad A, Dawson A, Singh J, Jesani A, Upshur RUG. Research ethics governance in times of Ebola. (Submitted to The Journal of Public Health Ethicson Dec 24, 2015; Review received in April , 2016. Revised manuscript resubmitted in April 2016).
- Srinivasan, S. Ethical challenges in public health research. Econ Pol Wkly. 2016 Feb 27; 51(9): 23-5.
Year 2009-10: Books
CSER, Third Krishna Raj Memorial Seminar on Contemporary Issues in Health and Social Sciences Instituted by Anusandhan Trust, Clinical Trials and Health Care Regulation in India, YMCA International Centre, Mumbai Central, Saturday 10th January, 2009, p.17